Yesterday I had the extreme pleasure of getting to go to the White House for a Holiday Tweetup! I even got to bring the husband along as my plus one for the day. The first half of the day was spent at the Old Executive Office Building and we heard from the following White House administration staff:
- Tina Tchen, Assistant to the President and Chief of Staff to the First Lady (Kenny’s favorite)
- Jon Carson, Deputy Assistant to the President and Director of the Office of Public Engagement (@joncarson44 & http://www.whitehouse.gov/engage)
- Brad Cooper, Executive Director of Joining Forces (@joiningforces & http://www.joiningforces.gov)
- Aneesh Chopra, Assistant to the President for Technology and US Chief Technology Officer (@aneeshchopra)
- Brian Deese, Deputy Assistant to the President and Deputy Director of the National Economic Council (http://www.whitehouse.gov/economy/jobsact)
- Laura Dowling, White House florist
- Macon Phillips, Special Assistant to the President and Director of Digital Strategy (@macon44)
- Kori Schulman, Deputy Director of Online Outreach in the Office of Digital Strategy (@ks44)
- Bill Yosses, White House pastry chef
The theme is Shine Give Share and that was seen all over the house. There was also a huge emphasis on military families and service. I can’t even begin to describe how beautiful and ornate it all was.
There were also replicas of Bo, the White House first dog, in every room. It was kind of like a game of Where’s Waldo but instead it was Where’s Bo. This version of Bo was made out of marshmallows and licorice but he was also 4 ft tall and made out of felt, tiny and made of buttons, even smaller and made out of frosting…Bo was everywhere.
And this replica of the White House…it’s made out of gingerbread and white chocolate. It was insanely beautiful. There are a lot of pictures on Flickr and you can read up about the Holidays on the White House site here but I’m adding a slideshow of my pictures to give you a better peek into the holidays at the White House (I promise to update the captions tonight, I just had to get these up in a hurry so I could talk about it!).