I get asked a lot about taking pictures, my camera and some of the pictures I show on my blog so I thought I’d do a post about it and some of the questions I am asked. The first thing I always tell people is that I am not a professional photographer. You can call me a shutterbug if you’d like but I just call myself a woman who enjoys taking pictures. I’m also a really creative person who worked in design and layout for years, so I believe my eye is trained to see how an image would be cropped and how I would lay it all out before I even snap a single picture. But really, I’m just having fun.
With that out of the way I thought I’d answer a few of the questions I get emailed/tweeted a lot and hopefully it will help. I’ll also share some of my favorite photos that I’ve snapped.
- What kind of camera do you own? Lenses? I have a Canon Rebel T1i DSLR that I bought in March 2010. I use a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens, a Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III lens and the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS that came with it. I primarily use the 50mm lens, especially for the Gift Guide photos of people. It’s my favorite. I also rent lenses from BorrowLenses.com. I have always had a camera though. My father had an SLR camera that he always took pictures with when I was growing up. I remember always wanting to be the one to take the picture and he’d let me. When I was in middle school my mother gave me a Polaroid for a birthday present and kept me stocked in Costco packs of film. When I got to high school she bought me a film camera. In college she gave me the first Elph camera and then post-college she bought me my first digital camera. Since then I’ve progressively upped the kind of camera that I owned getting something nicer each time. I’m always looking at cameras.
- Have you taken photography classes before?I took a photography class in 1995 in high school but I was always working on yearbook (high school and college) and then I worked for a publishing company and then did publication design for previous jobs. I’ve always loved publication layout and I take pictures like I would crop them. I think over time my photos have gotten better but I’m always looking for ways to improve.
- Who takes the pictures of you on the blog? I do! I have an awesome new tripod my husband gave me for Christmas and a remote control that I use to set up shots. I even did the new pictures for this site and are used on my profile page.
- What are your favorite types of photos/subjects you like to shoot? People and babies. I like capturing people when they’re not watching, more candid. I LOVE taking pictures of babies, love, love, love it. Their little faces change and morph so quickly, it’s fantastic. I also love taking pictures of food. I think since I love to cook and I like to explore photography more it’s a natural thing to do. I also love the book, Plate to Pixel. It’s an awesome food photography book but it gives wonderful tips on photography in general.
- What do you use to edit your photos? I actually use a free tool a lot, PICASA! I also have Photoshop Elements but sometimes Picasa is quicker and easier for me to do what I want to do. I don’t do a lot of retouching on people (hence why I’m not a professional) but I will adjust the contrast and coloring a bit if I think it’s off.
And here are a few of my favorite pics I’ve taken in the last year.
I definitely love taking pictures and exploring more. If you have any questions you’d like for me to answer, feel free to leave them in the comments!